A group program based on the Sosafe! Framework a group program based on the Sosafe! Framework designed for 10 to 14-year-olds with intellectual disability and/or autism spectrum disorder.
ME & YOU is designed to help young people understand their bodies, emotional and social needs and relationships with other people. 'ME & YOU' also builds skills and knowledge in parents/carers to enable them to support the developmental journey of their children.
The program includes two components:
Group-based education learning focused on:
- Developing social skills
- Understanding the concept of consent
- Public and private body parts, places and behaviours
- How bodies grow and change
- Healthy and hygienic habits
- Abuse prevention
Behaviour management focused on:
- Enriching knowledge about sexual health
- Implementing the SoSAFE! framework
- Strategies to maintain appropriate behaviours
- Understanding and supporting children’s emotional and social needs
- Using relaxation techniques with children
There are five group 2 hour sessions for young people and their parents/carers including both components and three individual sessions for parents/carers to work on a behaviour management plan that meets their child’s needs.
- Starts: 26 September 2019
- Sessions: 1.5 hour group session for parents (26 of September at 6 pm), 4 x 3 hour group sessions (3, 4, 10, 11 of October from 10.30 am to 1:30 pm) plus 2 individual parent/carer sessions by arrangement.
- NDIS Categories Applicable: Increased Social and Community Participation and Improved Relationships.
- Cost: NDIS $2364.84; NON-NDIS $2600 (GST included); Limited scholarships available.