FPAA Certificate Course in Reproductive & Sexual Health 2021
PLEASE NOTE UPDATED COURSE INFORMATION FOR 2020 TO BE ADVISED.
This nationally accredited course is designed for medical practitioners who wish to expand their knowledge and increase their skills in the delivery of sexual and reproductive health care.
Clinical Attachment dates Are by individual arrangement after completion of Theory and Assessment FEES Theory and Assessment: $1700 Supervised Clinical Attachment: $ 700
Registered Medical Practitioner with MBBS or equivalent. At least 1 year clinical experience after internship, preferably includes general practice or gynaecology outpatients. If you choose to undertake the Supervised Clinical Attachment, you must have current medical registration with AHPRA and current medical indemnity insurance.
This course is suitable for:
- GPs and GP registrars
- O&G registrars Sexual Health Physician Trainees
- Medical practitioners who hold the Family Planning Certificate in Sexual and Reproductive Health from past years and wish to update their knowledge in view of recent rapid and exciting changes in this area of medicine
- Reproductive anatomy and physiology
- Sexual history taking, diversity in sex and gender, sexual counselling
- Sexual and reproductive health matters specific to women, including continence, menstrual disorders, vulvovaginal disorders, breast and cervical screening, menopause
- Unplanned Pregnancy Choices
- Sexual and reproductive health matters specific to men, including testicular and prostate conditions, erectile and ejaculatory dysfunction
- Sexually Transmissible Infections
- Legal issues including sexual assault, disability and young people
The 6 day Theory Component takes place over 3 weekends. Consists of lecture presentations, and Case studies during which participants are encouraged to be actively involved.
To help to translate the skills and knowledge gained during the Theory Component into practice there is, on day 6, a Written Assessment Paper, and a Role Play Assessment which takes place in a collegial and non- threatening environment. At completion of the Theory and Assessment Components participants are eligible for 40 cat 1 RACGP points or ACRRM 30 PRDP + 30 O&G MOPS points.
3. Supervised Clinical Attachment
Participants must complete the Theory and Assessment Components to progress to the Clinical Attachment. This consists of 7 sessions of clinical training.
The first session can be one where the participant observes the consultations.
In subsequent sessions the participant conducts the consultation while the supervising doctor observes and contributes where appropriate.
Competencies achieved are recorded in a portfolio.
The Clinical Attachment must be completed within 2 years of the Theory and Assessment Component.
It is possible to do the Clinical Attachment in another state, but fee arrangement would have to be made separately by the participant with that state.
2020 PENDING ACCREDITATION
At the completion of the Supervised Clinical Attachment, participants are eligible for 40 Cat 1 RACGP SCA QI points or ACRRM 30 PRDP + 30 O&G MOPS points. The full FPAA Certificate in Reproductive and Sexual Health for Doctors is awarded to medical practitioners who complete Theory + Assessment + Clinical Attachment.
- Theory and Assessment: $1700
SHFPACT Members price $1530**
The clinical attachment (detailed below) is optional and paid for when placements are arranged. Dates are by individual arrangement after completion of theory and assessment.
- Supervised Clinical Attachment: $ 700
SHFPACT Members price $630**
**You must be a SHFPACT professional member for the 10% members discount.
See > SHFPACT professional membership details.
Please note that changes may be made to course dates and mode of delivery at late notice if COVID-19 restrictions escalate. While SHFPACT will endeavour to avoid any unnecessary changes, this may be unavoidable. Every effort will be made to reschedule the course, and any affected placements or assessment, to ensure that course participants are able to complete the course in a reasonable timeframe.