IUD Insertion Workshop for GPs
This workshop is designed for suitably experienced GPs who wish to learn to insert IUDs or GPs who are interested in learning more about IUDs as a contraceptive option for their patients but intend to refer them elsewhere for insertion. NEXT DATES TBA.
Please check eligibility criteria before applying.
Participants in the SHFPACT IUD Training Course must be a Registered Medical Practitioner with at least two years postgraduate experience. Adequate Professional Indemnity Insurance is the sole responsibility of the participant.
Participants should already have:
- extensive experience in contraception consultation and counselling
- well-developed speculum and bimanual pelvic examination skills,
- have undertaken a Family Planning Certificate or Diploma of O&G or other equivalent qualification, or have considerable clinical experience in contraception and gynaecology in general practice.
If you do not have the requisite skills, it is recommended that you acquire these skills before undertaking the SHFPACT IUD Training Course.
- Pre-Activity Readings and questionnaire
- Theory component (3.5 hours) with simulation IUD procedure practice on pelvic models
- 3x 3-hour clinical sessions, to undertake supervised IUD procedures
- Post activity readings and reflection
DATE OF THEORY COMPONENT
- NEXT DATES TBA
- 8:45am to 12:30 pm
Clinical Training Component: Our IUD Training Clinic is held only on Tuesday afternoons. Dates will be arranged individually for participants after completion of Theory Component.
AIM OF ACTIVITY
The aim of this activity is to equip GPs with the knowledge and skills to counsel patients regarding the use of IUDs, to perform IUD insertion in their practices, and to be able to minimise risks and manage complications.
RACGP CPD Accredited Activity 200491, 40 points
ACRRM Activity ID 21752
- PDP units 4 Educational Activity
- 9 Performance Review
- MOPS 6 Points
- Obstetrics Grant Eligible 1 Day
- Advise patients of the advantages and disadvantages of the IUDs available in Australia to patients in order to facilitate informed decision making regarding contraceptive selection.
- Assess a patient’s medical suitability for use of IUDs, and of which type of IUD
- Determine the appropriate timing of initiation of IUD use, taking into account individual patient circumstances
- Generate a plan of action for management of patients experiencing complications of IUDs.
- Perform competent insertion and removal of IUDs
Due to unpredictable and rapid changes in travel restrictions relating to COVID 19, enrolment preference may be given to applicants who reside in the ACT or Queanbeyan, to minimise disruption to the training programme in the event of sudden state border closures.
Changes to programming may have to be made at short notice if unexpected COVID 19 related restrictions come into force.
Course fee $1200. A 10% discount is available if a SHFPACT Professional Membership is held.
NEXT COURSE TBA
1/28 University Avenue
Sexual Health and Family Planning ACT