What happens during an STI phone consultation?
SHFPACT now offers STI phone consultations, find out what happens and how it all works.
- You book your appointment online through HotDoc or by calling us on 02 6247 3077.
- One of our experienced sexual health nurses will call you at your appointment time, you just need to make sure that you will be available to talk privately for about 15 - 20 minutes.
- The nurse will introduce herself and explain what will happen in your consultation.
- She will then ask you questions which will help determine what tests you might need.
- The nurse will then explain what test are recommended for you and will answer any questions you might have.
- The pathology request form will then be sent to you in the mail along with some information about STIs and instructions for the tests you need.
- You take this form along to a pathology collection centre convenient for you.
- The staff at the pathology collection centre will give you any jars or specimen collection containers you need, and you use the instructions we send you to collect the specimens. The staff will take blood if a blood test has been ordered.
- We will contact you with the results. If your results are normal we will send you a discrete SMS. If any result is positive we will call you and arrange for you to have treatment.
Is there a cost for a phone STI consultation?
If you meet our concession criteria there is no cost. For everyone else, there is a one-off fee of $55.
(Concession criteria includes people under 21, full-time students under 25, concession cardholders).
Please note: Phone consultations are only available for people with no symptoms. If you have any symptoms please give us a call and we can book you into a face to face doctor’s appointment or help you find out where else to go for care.