IUD Insertion Workshop for GPs
This workshop is designed for suitably experienced GPs who wish to learn to insert IUDs or GPs who are interested in learning more about IUDs as a contraceptive option for their patients but intend to refer them elsewhere for insertion.
THIS COURSE IS NOW FULL
Please check eligibility criteria before applying.
Participants in the SHFPACT IUD Training Course must be a Registered Medical Practitioner with at least two years postgraduate experience. Adequate Professional Indemnity Insurance is the sole responsibility of the participant.
Participants should already have:
- extensive experience in contraception consultation and counselling
- well-developed speculum and bimanual pelvic examination skills,
- have undertaken a Family Planning Certificate or Diploma of O&G or other equivalent qualification or have considerable clinical experience in contraception and gynaecology in general practice.
If you do not have the requisite skills, it is recommended that you acquire these skills before undertaking the SHFPACT IUD Training Course.
- Pre-Activity Readings and questionnaire
- Theory component (3.5 hours) with simulation IUD procedure practice on pelvic models
- 3x 3-hour clinical sessions, to undertake supervised IUD procedures
- Post activity readings and reflection
DATE OF THEORY COMPONENT
- 11 February 2023
- 8:45am to 12:30 pm
Clinical Training Component: Our IUD Training Clinic is held only on Tuesday afternoons. Dates will be arranged individually for participants after completion of Theory Component.
AIM OF ACTIVITY
The aim of this activity is to equip GPs with the knowledge and skills to counsel patients regarding the use of IUDs, to perform IUD insertion in their practices, and to be able to minimise risks and manage complications.
2023 - 2025 ACCREDITATION
RACGP accredited 2023-2025
CPD Activity 402398
Education Activities: 2 hours
Reviewing Performance: 10 hours
Measuring Outcomes: 3 hours
Total Hours: 15
ACRRM accredited 2023-2025
Contact Hours: 3
Pre - Activity hours: 3
Post - Activity Hours: 9
Skills Assessment Hours: 5
Case Study Hours: 10
Total Hours: 15
- Advise patients of the advantages and disadvantages of the IUDs available in Australia to patients in order to facilitate informed decision making regarding contraceptive selection.
- Assess a patient’s medical suitability for use of IUDs, and of which type of IUD
- Determine the appropriate timing of initiation of IUD use, taking into account individual patient circumstances
- Generate a plan of action for management of patients experiencing complications of IUDs.
- Perform competent insertion and removal of IUDs
Course fee $1400.00
A SHFPACT Professional Membership must held to attend this course. ($60)
You will be invoiced upon offer of a place in the course. Payment should be made promptly to confirm your place.
NEXT COURSE TBA
1/28 University Avenue
Sexual Health and Family Planning ACT
- Created on .
- Last updated on .