Me and You
This program helps young people understand their changing bodies, emotional and social needs, and relationships with other people. The program also works closely with parents/carers to enable them to support the developmental journey of the children they care for.
This program is designed specifically for young people aged 10-16 who live with intellectual disability and/or are on the autism spectrum (ASD). The primary focus of the program is to build knowledge and strengthen the capacity of young people and their parents/carers to communicate and successfully navigate the physical, emotional and social aspects of healthy sexual development.
The program is run in a small group format and consists of five sessions. The first session is for parents/carers only and run for two hours. The middle section of the program is comprised of four 3hr sessions that young people attend with their parent/carer. The program is tailored to the specific needs of individual participants, but generally focusses on the following outcomes:
For young people:
- Identifying public and private body parts, places and behaviours
- Understanding how bodies grow and change during puberty and over the course of our lives
- Understanding the purpose of menstruation and different ways to manage it
- Building protective behaviours to develop healthy habits and prevent abuse
- Identifying emotions, the role they play and developing regulation strategies
- Developing a general understanding of respectful relationships and consent
- Information about healthy sexual development and stage appropriate resources
- Confidence in communicating with children and young people about sexual development
- Information on current menstruation management options
- Frameworks to support children to identify and report inappropriate behaviours
- Strategies to support children to understand, articulate and manage their emotions
- Supporting young people to engage in appropriate behaviours and healthy relationships
Places are limited to a maximum of 6 young people and 6 parent/carers. The program is usually run over the course of a week during school holidays.
$1,920 including GST. It can also be provided under the NDIS Category of Capacity Building/Increased Social and Community Participation for $1,750 (GST Free).
Sexual Health & Family Planning ACT
Level 1, 28 University Ave, Canberra City
Google Maps Link
BOOKINGS & QUERIES
- Last updated on .